Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Blogger Vs. Tumblr

The printer wasn't working for my to print a paper on Blogger vs. Tumblr! I figured the next best thing would be to post my write up on Blogger

I’m a blogger. I always have been and always will be. I loved DeadJournal when I was in high school, got active on Blogger my first few years in college, have always loved twitter for micro blogging, and now I love Tumblr. It’s the best of all the worlds!

DeadJournal you had the ability to follow other people’s journals and have it show up on one screen but also it was focused on lengthy/wordy blogs like Blogger. When I started using Blogger I liked it because it was much more user friendly and you didn’t have to have someone invite you to it, but if I wanted to see my friends blogs I would have to go to their page. The easiest way to follow them is to set up an RSS feed, and it wasn’t appealing to me. I wanted it all to be on the same website. I really missed that about DeadJournal.

I know on Blogger there are specific blogs, but the majority are people who are frustrated with something, and use it as a space to be negative, argue, or vent. I’ve always said if I’m not using Blogger for a class, I find myself venting, rambling, getting caught up in unnecessary frustration.

A lot of people call Tumblr a Twitter-ized blog. Unlike Blogger but like Twitter, it is easy to follow people you like, share/re-blog content, have short posts, quotes, links, pictures, and like Facbeook, you can like things.

Tumblr gives writers the same pleasure as Blogger, you can write as much as you would like. But on Blogger to have a post that is just a picture, or just a link with no descriptions, doesn’t look right. It is all much more fast, direct, and smooth. The reblogging ability is what appeals the most to be about Tumblr. Sometimes I’m not in a creative mood but I want to give my followers something to remind them I’m out there. I can look through other people’s pictures or writing and share it with my followers. When you re-blog it shows a link to the original blog so you don’t even have to worry about not giving someone credit for your blog!

I would have to say people’s biggest complains about Tumblr is the same on Twitter. There are too many teens wasting the time and space with nonsense. But like twitter, you can get around it! On Tumblr it is as easy as clicking “Explore more tags” and it has the most popular tags like, politics, fashion, comics, animals, education, the activity of that tag, and the top editor on that tag as a great starting person to follow. It’s really amazing to be able to follow political blogs from all over the world and share their information with my friends.

My last favorite thing about Tumblr is very similar to Blogger. On both of these tools you can create multiple blogs with the same user account. I have four blogs on Tumblr and more than I can count on Blogger. I have a personal Tumblr but my other three are focused on mentoring, Harry Potter, and my cat.

If I had to keep only one blogging tool, it would be Tumblr, if I had to keep only one social media tool, it would be Tumblr!

No comments:

Post a Comment